An Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child is a child who is:
- applying for asylum in their own right and
- is separated from both parents and is not being cared for by an adult who by law has responsibility to do so.
A child may move between the unaccompanied and accompanied categories whilst their applications are under consideration, e.g.
- where a child arrives alone but is later united with other family members in the UK
- a child arrives with their parents or close relatives but is later abandoned
- a trafficked child
- one brought in on false papers with an adult claiming to be a relative.
This supporting information is also known by these names:
|plural||Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children|